1. Roberto Marquez says:

    Hi, I’m a tenant who left my rented room 12 months ago. Can you please give me the website or email address where I can file a complaint about my unreturned security deposit. Thanks

    1. Hello Roberto,

      For your unreturned security deposit, you can reach out to the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs (DCA) directly. You can call them at 609-376-0802 to discuss your complaint and learn more about the process. Alternatively, you can email them at support@dca.gov with details of your situation. Be sure to include all pertinent information such as your previous address, the date you vacated the room, and any communications you’ve had with your landlord regarding the security deposit. They will guide you through the next steps and how to formally file your complaint.

      Good luck, and I hope this helps!

      1. Roberto Marquez says:

        Hi, I’m pleasantly surprised you replied. The 609-376-0802 has lots of division, I chose the local services and I can only leave a message. While support@dca.gov can’t be found, says my email postmaster. Thanks

  2. Carol Parr says:

    I’m Carol parr our last landlord is throwing out all our belongings and rocking our things we were put out of our rental house on Nov 6 cence then the landlords been rocking our things dont know what to do about it we have nothing

    1. Carol, I’m truly sorry to hear about your situation. If your belongings are being discarded or locked away by your previous landlord without proper notice or legal procedure, it’s important to take immediate action. In New Jersey, landlords must follow specific legal procedures for eviction and handling tenants’ property. You may want to contact the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs (DCA) to file a complaint about this issue. Additionally, seeking advice from a legal aid organization can provide you with guidance tailored to your situation. They can help you understand your rights and the steps you can take to potentially recover your belongings or seek compensation for any losses. Remember, you have rights as a tenant, and there are resources available to support you through this challenging time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *