1. Robert A luna says:

    My landlord lost his eviction case in court and gave us judgement but the land said he would reimburse us our money for making the house inhabitable to habitable how do we collect that money

    1. Hello Robert,

      If your landlord was ordered by the court to reimburse you for the money you spent on making the house habitable and they have not yet paid you, there are a few steps you can take:

      Written Demand: Send a formal written request for payment to your landlord, specifying the amount they owe you, the reason for the payment, and a deadline for settling the debt. Ensure you send this via a method that provides proof of delivery, such as certified mail.

      Payment Plan: If the landlord is experiencing financial difficulties, you might consider negotiating a payment plan that allows them to pay you back in installments.

      Collection Agency: You could use a collection agency to pursue the debt. However, they will take a percentage of the collected amount as their fee.

      Small Claims Court: If the amount owed is within the limits of small claims court in your jurisdiction, you can file a claim to seek a judgment for the amount owed. This is typically a more straightforward and less expensive alternative to higher courts.

      Garnishment: If you obtain a court judgment and the landlord still doesn’t pay, you might be able to garnish their bank account or wages, depending on state laws.

      Property Lien: In some cases, you can place a lien on the landlord’s property until the debt is paid. This can be a complex process and may require the assistance of an attorney.

      Legal Assistance: Consult with an attorney who can provide you with legal options based on the specifics of your situation and local laws.

      1. Correction to the question and thank you for replying … the landlord did lose the ud case and was ordered to return the possession of rental property and judge entered the amount of judgement of zero $zero and nothing else was addressed we are still in the unit how ever the landlord has entered a individual into the house on of the many violations of our lease agreement the original reason habitability and code enforcement of corrections and still this tenant is here not paying rent and fighting a case with fraudulent info by using our response to our wion case filing wrongful eviction but was never evicted until presently but so confused because landlord was no show to his eviction I feel this is a harassment tactic and want this man to leave he has no rights to the house at all it’s like he doesn’t exist not related to eviction and free of rent what do we do we have not received anything further this was in June please advise

        1. In your situation, it’s important to consult with an attorney who can provide guidance specific to your case and the laws in your jurisdiction. They can help you navigate the legal process and take appropriate action to address the situation with the unauthorized tenant and any other violations of your lease agreement. An attorney can help you understand your rights and options and take the necessary steps to protect your interests.

  2. Our landlord filed and eviction against us claiming we have outstanding $24,000 worth of unpaid rent , landlord lost the eviction lawsuit in October . verdict of 12 jurors concluded that renter owes no money to the landlord – we stayed in the property assuming we will continue with residence with a fresh start and a new zero balance in the upcoming month – however
    In November when we tried to pay rent landlord would not accept payment and we realized the landlord never took that balance off our record despite the judgement was for them
    Not to receive any money .
    In December the landlord files another eviction lawsuit against us , now claiming we owe them $15,000

    What is your opinion about this or suggestions .
    Thank you

    1. Margo, it sounds like a challenging situation. If your landlord lost the eviction lawsuit and the jury determined you owe no back rent, yet the landlord is attempting another eviction claiming unpaid rent, it’s crucial to consult with a legal professional immediately. Given the court’s prior ruling in your favor, it’s important to gather all related documentation, including the court judgment, any communication attempts regarding rent payment, and the new eviction notice. A lawyer specializing in tenant rights can help you navigate this situation, potentially contest the new eviction based on the previous judgment, and ensure your rights are protected. It’s also worth contacting a local tenant advocacy group for additional support and guidance.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *