1. Denise Garcia says:

    Hello. I’ve lived in my condo since November 2019 and been month to month November 2020. My landlord never raised my rent since I pay early every month, but sadly he died at the beginning of this year. His daughter took over, assuming she inherited his property. I’ve been sending my rent checks out to his name still, but to her address. She told me she is selling the condo, gave me 3 months notice to move out. Can I ask for relocation fees?

  2. I have a question , I’m in California and our landlord is not renewing our lease after almost 9 years, reason given she now wants to rent property to her son and his family , can I still ask for a relocation fee?

    1. Hi David,

      In California, landlords are generally required to pay relocation fees in certain ‘no-fault’ eviction scenarios, such as when they decide to take the property off the rental market or need to undertake significant renovations. However, if your landlord is ending the lease to rent the property to a family member, this situation might not automatically qualify for relocation assistance under state law.

      1. Christina says:

        What is a family member will move in, no longer renting it

    2. Hey Denise,

      Given your situation, you might indeed be eligible for relocation fees, especially considering California’s tenant protection laws which cover ‘no-fault’ evictions, including situations where the property is sold. Since your landlord is initiating the move by selling the condo, this falls into the category that often qualifies for relocation assistance. However, the specifics can depend on local ordinances within California, as these vary by city and county. I recommend contacting a local tenant rights organization or a legal professional for personalized advice based on your location and the details of your tenancy.

  3. Hi, my sister-in-law has been renting our small property (single home) for many years for a minimum amount out of our good heart because she is a single mom (my brother, her husband passed away in 2010) and has 2 small boys. There is no contract lease signed. Now we have to sell the property since my husband has retired. He is a pastor and does not make enough to support us. My sister-in-law is also behind in her payment. Last payment was for September.

    The house with one room and 1 bedroom could have been rented out for at least $1500. She only pays $750 to cover property taxes and previously to cover the mortgage (paid-off). I feel we have helped her for so many years. She has been informed for the last 2 years that we plan to sell the house. It’s only now, after retirement, that we finally decided to sign the listing contract.

    Are we obligated to pay for relocation cost?

    1. Hi Nette,

      Landlords are typically required to pay relocation fees in specific ‘no-fault’ eviction cases. However, selling a property without a formal lease agreement, especially to address financial needs, might not obligate you to pay relocation costs, particularly if proper notice has been given. It’s advisable to consult a local attorney for legal guidance tailored to your specific situation.

  4. If my lease ended a couple months ago and I have to move out because the owner has listed the property for sale do I qualify for relocation fee?

    1. Hey Nathan

      If your lease has ended and you’re being asked to move out because the owner is selling the property, you may not automatically qualify for a relocation fee in California unless your situation falls under local “no-fault” eviction protections. Typically, relocation fees are required for evictions where tenants are not at fault, such as property renovations or conversions. The requirement to pay relocation assistance largely depends on specific local housing regulations. Since your situation involves the lease ending and the property being sold, it’s important to review the terms of your lease and any applicable local ordinances to determine your eligibility for relocation assistance.

  5. Norma Herrera says:

    Question? Are relocation fees required if the tenant is renting with a month to month rental agreement. That states either tenant or landlord must give 30days advance notice.

    1. Hey Norma,
      Yes, in California, landlords may still be required to pay relocation fees in certain ‘no-fault’ eviction scenarios, regardless of whether the tenancy is under a month-to-month rental agreement. The specifics can depend on local ordinances, as some cities have specific regulations that require landlords to provide relocation assistance for no-fault evictions, including situations where the landlord terminates a month-to-month lease for reasons such as renovations, converting the property to non-rental use, or occupancy by the landlord’s family members. It’s important to consult local housing laws or a legal professional to understand the obligations in your specific area.

  6. Landlord is increasing my rent but very minimally as I am not currently employed. If I cannot agree to the minimal increase (i.e. $50) can I get still get the relocation fee? I live in SF and rent a room in an owner occupied home. Thank you

    1. CJ, in San Francisco, relocation fees are typically required for no-fault evictions, not for rent increases. If you’re unable to afford the increase and decide to leave, it might not qualify you for relocation assistance. It’s essential to check with the San Francisco Tenants Union or seek legal advice for guidance specific to your situation, especially since you’re currently facing unemployment. They can offer support and clarify your options based on local housing laws.

  7. Christine Ward says:

    I received a 60 day notice and haven’t received relocation documents in 15 days is the 60 day notice void now owner mentioned in past about turning unit into storage in the future

    1. Christine, receiving a 60-day notice without the follow-up relocation documents within 15 days can be concerning. In California, landlords are generally required to provide specific relocation assistance documentation for certain types of evictions. If the owner has previously mentioned changing the use of your unit, this might qualify as a no-fault eviction scenario that requires relocation assistance. It’s crucial to consult with a local tenant’s rights organization or a legal professional to understand your rights in this situation. They can advise if the notice might be considered void and help you navigate your next steps.

  8. Do I qualify for a relocation fee? Single family home. No fault eviction after 13 years. Landlord states mother in law will be moving in. Landlords states I don’t qualify because she’s not a corporation.

    1. Hey Danielle,
      Your eligibility for a relocation fee after a ‘no-fault’ eviction, like your landlord claiming the property for family use, depends on your local city or county laws in California. The landlord’s status as a non-corporation doesn’t exempt them from providing relocation assistance if local ordinances require it. For accurate advice, consult with a local tenants’ rights organization or a legal expert to understand your specific rights and options based on your location.

  9. Question: my senior citizen parents (one is legally disabled) have been renting low-income housing for the last 16 years, and have been on time with rent (great tenants) were just told that the house will be going on the market within the coming year. They have been on a month-to-month rental agreement. They have nothing in writing as of yet regarding the sale, but I was wondering, do they by CA law get a little bit longer to find a place once they get a cerified letter or from the time the house sells? Since: a) they’re elderly and b) one is disabled- Is that valid due to their circumstances? Also, are they entitiled to compensation to move?
    I read somewhere that they possibly could have up to a year to find a place…not sure if that’s current.

    1. Hey Dorothy,

      In California, your parents might be entitled to additional protections due to their status as seniors and one being legally disabled, especially in a no-fault eviction scenario like the sale of the property. Local laws vary, but they often provide greater protections for vulnerable tenants, potentially including extended notice periods and possibly relocation assistance. The specifics can depend on the local jurisdiction within California.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *