1. Linda Woodruff says:

    No replacement key for my mailbox it’s going on 7 months lie ing about repairs and charging me which I have what was in the move in check she agreed and now say I broke everything was order by Aurora code inspector to repair and get a mol test has t did nothing things are getting worse no knobs on bathtub and kitchen sink sink faucet sink is breaking slowly the blind r breaking apart my doy is starting to break its alot I’m 69 and saying e did everything but havescheck in list with her signature saying what she would fix along with a verbal agreement what can I do Also came in after the one maintenance person and I was sleep but I felt like I was drugged because I was sitting in my chai when I let the one maintenance man in I was trying to wake up and could like 4 other mail voices along with seeing her doing some kind of check list but couldn’t move I was in my bed with pajamas on

    1. Hey Linda,
      I’m very sorry to hear about the difficulties you are experiencing. It’s important to address these issues one by one:

      Mailbox Key: If your landlord has not provided you with a mailbox key for 7 months, you can contact your local post office for assistance. The post office may be able to issue a new key or change the lock so that you can access your mail.

      Repairs: For the unaddressed repairs, you can file a complaint with the local housing authority or building inspector, especially since there has already been an order by the Aurora code inspector. They can enforce the repair order.

      Charges for Damages: If you are being charged for damages you did not cause, gather any evidence you have that shows the condition of the apartment at move-in, such as the checklist signed by your landlord, and communicate in writing that you dispute the charges.

      Health and Safety Concerns: If you suspect that your health and safety are at risk due to conditions in your apartment or potential unauthorized entry, it is essential to contact local law enforcement. You should also consider reaching out to social services for support, especially given your age and any health concerns.

      Legal Assistance: Seek legal aid or advice. There are often free services available to seniors, which can help you understand your rights and how to proceed. They may also be able to assist with drafting necessary correspondence to your landlord or representing you in communications.

      Documentation: Keep detailed records of all communication with your landlord, any incidents that occur, and the state of disrepair in your apartment. Take photos and keep a log of dates and descriptions of all issues.

      Personal Safety: If you ever feel unsafe or suspect that someone has entered your home without permission, it’s important to call the police immediately. If you feel your well-being is compromised after a maintenance visit, you should also report this to the police and seek medical attention.

  2. Hello,

    I live in Georgia, I rented a house thru a real estate company. They gave me the keys to the house, but there is a cluster box for the mail, and they did NOT provide me the key to the mailbox. When I asked for the key, they said that I have to go to the post office and pay the fee to get the lock changed.

    You keep stating that its the law for them to provide the mailbox key, but which law and statue does it state this?

    1. Hi Kyle,

      Sorry to hear about the mailbox key issue. In many places, landlords are indeed expected to provide access to mailboxes as part of ensuring a habitable living space. However, specific laws can vary, and it’s not uncommon for the post office to manage cluster box keys directly, especially when there’s a change in tenants.

      If your lease doesn’t specify who’s responsible for providing the mailbox key, it might be worth a quick chat with the post office. They can clarify if there’s a fee for changing the lock. For the exact law or statute, since it can get pretty specific and varies by location, a local tenant rights group or a legal advisor could offer guidance tailored to Georgia’s regulations.

      Hope this gets resolved quickly for you!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *