1. My neighbor is medically disabled on 02. His son is disabled mentally. They have been in the same unit for five years and the owner passed away. The owners family wants to sell the unit and has only given 60 days notice to these two individuals. When they moved into the unit the rents were not how they are now and it would take much longer to find a place to live for them. How can we ask the family to extend the notice with so many things to consider. The older man health is very bad and he has a hospital bed in the home. He has in home care. How is this man supposed to face something of this magnitude much less the Schizophrenic son. Can you please advise the rights in this situation.

    1. Leslie, in California, the situation you described involves complex legal and humanitarian considerations. The rights of disabled tenants, including those who are medically and mentally disabled, are protected under several laws including the Fair Housing Act (FHA), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and the California Disabled Persons Act (CDPA). These laws require landlords to provide reasonable accommodations for tenants with disabilities and prohibit discrimination against them. Since the family of the deceased owner wants to sell the unit, it is important to communicate the specific needs of your neighbors, emphasizing the impact of such a move on their health and well-being.

      Given the severity of the older man’s health and the son’s condition, you could request a meeting with the owner’s family or their representatives to discuss the situation. It might be helpful to present a written request for an extension of the notice period, detailing the tenants’ disabilities, their current health status, and the challenges they would face in finding suitable new accommodation quickly. Highlight the potential legal obligations under the aforementioned laws, suggesting that a longer notice period or assistance in finding alternative housing could be considered reasonable accommodations under the circumstances.

      If the owner’s family is unresponsive or unwilling to provide an extension, it might be wise to seek assistance from local legal aid organizations specializing in housing rights for disabled individuals. They can provide guidance on potential legal protections and may be able to negotiate on behalf of the tenants or explore other legal remedies to prevent or delay the eviction.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *